TECHNET Archives

October 2010

Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 23:52:25 +0200
Ann,
You may not love my opinion. Personally, I think that the beta or whatever
thickness testing is not telling much about the wetting and final solder
joint quality. Instead one should rely upon a solder wetting (balance)
testing combined with solder ball shear tests. Depending on what customer
you have, there may be necessary with even more tests, e.g. tempcycling and
ageing tests with X-sectioning and SEM/EDX. But there are simpler ways to
start with . A experienced quality/process engineer can use a hard
typewriter eraser and get a good opinion just by making a few strikes (not
recommended for everyone to do!).  Furthermore, you can use IPC-4552, which
involves tape testing. Again, I don't say Fisherscope is improper, but it is
not a fair judge.
Myself, I gave our istrument to people who plated car details, motorway stel
barriers and such things. THERE, it's very worthful.

Please, don't throw bottles on me. At least not if they are empty.

Inge

PS. If you are lucky to have a very good SEM driver, he/she can estimate the
flash gold by doing a programmed stepwise scan with Backscatter detector
(the acc voltage is important). Calibrate the grayscale level by means of
sputtered gold on a nickel plate.