TECHNET Archives

October 2010

Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:20:42 +0200
I have sent some photos to Steve for you. I avoid to put any name on the
phenomenon, as that seems to start fruitless debates. Instead I focus on
what we found. The balls lifted after tempcycling, as like you lift your
fried egg from the pan. When you look at the underside of the egg, there is
a smooth and even surface, supposed you got oil or butter in the pan.
Likewise, when we looked at the separation faces on these superBGAs, we saw
a flat, smooth and even surface, as if the balls had been solidified on a
glass plate. Nearly no microjoints at all, except a little arount the
perifphery. This smooth surface was nanometer thick (still BGA balls) and
behind that, a micrometer thick layer of extremly crystalline Tin-Nickel
layer. Experts from Ericsson determined that layer as caused by overheated
IMCs. We tried to examine the nanometer smooth layer, which was the very
sort of separation interface, but the result was hard to interprete, and
there was no further investigation. We cooperated with Xilinx, who made
several microscopic surveys, but we never got to know if the failure was
related to Xilinx or the boards or to our process, because  one day the
problem disappeared. We had lost lots of boards an we were of course happy,
but myselft, I am still curious and wonder who was the murderer.

Inge