TECHNET Archives

October 2010

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:34:42 +0300
There is another factor which you should consider. This is the
temperature profile during the cleaning process. Many components which
are considered as hermetic may have seals which do not function well
with variations of temperature. For example, a trimmer potentiometer may
have an O-ring which renders it watertight under normal circumstances.
However, if the temperature drops while the component is wet, the
contraction of the air inside the box may be sufficient to suck in some
water past the O-ring, to the detriment of the contact between the
slider and the resistive element. My advice is always to start cool and
work upwards in temperature, so that the pressure inside any components
containing air is always increasing.

Brian