TECHNET Archives

October 2010

From:
Phil Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:35:44 -0700
Hi Doug,

Does the handbook cover conductive traces beneath devices on boards
without solder mask.....?

In my young engineer days, I had to apply thinned Type UR conformal
coating beneath DIPs (that tells you how long ago this was) using a
syringe.   We were then spraying from all four sides in order to "seal"
the edges of the CCA (aka PCBA these days).  It was always interesting
to watch the techniques the operators used to get the proper coverage
without having edge build-up that violated the thickness requirements.

I always wonder about designs that require edge masking, especially when
there is a de-panel tab involved.

I have the greatest admiration for clock makers (brother-in-law) as they
are extremely self sufficient and always know what time it should be.

Phil