TECHNET Archives

October 2010

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2010 09:26:27 -0500
Yes, I remember Dave Douthit.  I did not always agree with his approaches
to things, but he did have some interesting data.

The indoor NH3 is not that hard to fathom.  Most of your industrial
cleaning solutions, especially for glass, have some ammonia in it, so PPB
levels of NH3 are not unusual.  If you are anywhere in the Midwest in the
United States, anywhere from April to June, farmers are planting fields
and most apply anhydrous ammonia during the process.  I am betting Iowa is
a whole lot higher in NH3 during that time than the PPB range.

Doug Pauls

Inge <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
10/21/2010 04:51 PM
Please respond to
Inge <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Conformal Coating Board Edges

"Second, how do you determine how harsh an environment  has to be in order
to coat the edges? "
Dough Pauls

Answer:

Do you remember David Douthit? His definition of Harsh was environments
that belong to the upper range of the values in the 'OUTDOOR' column. His
work. There exist no true formulas, but the values below shall in
principle be multiplied with Temperature, Time, barometric pressure and
local weather conditions (sun radiation for example). We have in principle
followed similar figures.

Concentration of selected gaseous air constituents (ppb) in the United
States.

OUTDOOR

O3          4-43
H2O2     10-30
SO2        1-65
H2S        0.7-24
NO2        9-78
HNO3      1-10
NH3         7-16
HCL         0.18-3
CL2          0.005-0.08
HCHO      4-15
HCOOH   4-20

INDOOR

O3           3-30
H2O2      5
SO2         0.3-14
H2S         0.1-0.7
NO2         1-29
HNO3       3
NH3          13-259
HCL          0.05-0.18
CL2           0.001-0.005
HCHO       10
HCOOH     20

There is one thing I don't understand: NH3 up to 259 ppb indoor.

Hope this gave you at least an idea.

/Inge