TECHNET Archives

October 2010

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:24:24 +0100
All

In my previous message I said that "in the past" this was done to reduce the risk of delamination. I know this did happen in service on many avionics assemblies when the research was conducted for NBC warfare effects.

I also know that most folks stipulated "no coating on the edges" to avoid having assemblies get stuck into their carrier frames.

I guess this was one of those classic problems encountered in the field that the designers had no clue about....until it was too late.

Given the role that a CC is intended to provide, wouldn't it be simpler, as was the case way before the advent of robotic systems, to permit edge coverage. Dip & Spray coating methods require masking that folks try to avoid, and as you can dip 600+ assemblies per hour in a dip process, its a popular application technique but a nightmare/dream if you have to mask.

In conclusion: IT DEPENDS! Ker-ching...

Regards

Graham Naisbitt - KBO

Email: [log in to unmask]