TECHNET Archives

October 2010

Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2010 18:27:13 +0200
You use the name 'wafer', which I think is what we call 'substrate'. Rigid
substrates use  to be copper clad with a thick nickel and finally tin or
gold. If you are lucky to have such ones, soldering is not critical at all.
If you have substrates with refractory metallisation, then follow Dave's
advice. And finally, if you have substrates with thickfilm, you have two
possibilities, gold or silver which belongs to Dave's warning, or ditto with
a Palladium or other base metallisation, then again, no soldering problem.
So, before doing anything, you ought to determin what metallisation you
have.

Hot air...hmmm....hope you can keep the temperature within the correct
windows for each of the above cases. Metallisations on ceramic substrates
can be sensitive to overheat.

And, to give comments on Dave's leaching warning, if the substrates are
leaching aspirants, then a second leaching could cause an issue.  A high tin
alloy should then be avoided.

What kind of substrates do you work with? Thinfilm substrates or thickfilm
substrates or high power substrates? Alumina or AlNi or Silicon infiltered
aluminum etc. ?

Inge