TECHNET Archives

September 2010

From:
Phil Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2010 11:48:35 -0700
Eric,

If you are asking this because you are trying to design the apertures based on a .1mm (4mil) stencil, I would use .09mm as your paste height in any paste volume formula.

It used to bother me whenever I saw paste thicknesses that were less than the foil thickness but I finally got used to it, and now take the more conservative path regarding the design.

As others have stated, having a perfectly flat board is extremely important, as is gasketing.

PWBs with silkscreen ink creates horrible standoff, and lousy gasketing yield excess paste heights.

Scooping and inappropriate aperture sizes certainly definitely drive the actual paste thickness back toward the zero limit.

In any case, .1mm foil is a much more difficult process to control if you don't have control over the other factors.

Phil