TECHNET Archives

September 2010

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2010 15:55:29 -0500
If you don't specify the color they will default to green, but not because of
anything published by the IPC.

Beyond that, here's the background I have but I can't remember where I got it
from....

-=-=-=-
Why is Soldermask Green?
The green color of soldermask was chosen after extensive testing by the U.S.
military at the National Materials and Procurement Center in Cedar Bluffs
Virginia in late 1954. According to Colonel Robert Bright, Public Liason
Officer, green was found to provide the maximum contrast to the white
silkscreen ink under all tested adverse situations while still allowing a clear view
of the underlying circuitry. Every other color tested failed to provide the
required contrast under conditions of low / high illumination levels and various
colored light sources. The quantity of Printed Circuit Boards purchased by the
Defense Department established a "de facto" standard.
-=-=-=-

Jack
On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 10:35:00 -0700, Temkin, Gregg
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Is green solder mask the default by any IPC standard or is it default by
common usage?

>In other words, if a drawing does not specify the solder mask color, is there a
color IPC standards default to, or is it uncontrolled?