TECHNET Archives

September 2010

From:
"Carroll, Thomas A" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Carroll, Thomas A
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2010 09:20:49 -0500
Ken,

Assuming you are using IPA to clean your rosin residues and thus occasionally getting the white residues, for your applications I would recommend looking at your soldering temperature first.  If it is too high it could be helping to create your white residues.

The most common cause of white residue is oxidation of rosin. Rosin flux constituents oxidize due to excessive solder temperature, flux aging, or moisture when the rosin-fluxed assemblies are cleaned with organic solvents. Polymerization of small amounts of rosin from heat exposure may also play a role in the formation of white residue.

If your soldering temperature is not excessive then look into a separate cleaning chemistry for your current soldering process.  I have had good success with Terpene based cleaners for rosin.

Regards,
Tom Carroll, CQA, CIT, FAA ODA Unit Member
Supplier Quality Engineer
Boeing Defense, Space and Security - East Region Supplier Quality
Currently on Short Term International Assignment for BCA in Sweden
eFAX: 314-777-1845
Cell: 215-692-2463
Softphone Phone Number: 314-545-2358
Saab Sweden Phone: +46 (0)13 185972
Sweden Cell Phone (In Sweden): 0700 945414
Sweden Cell Phone (Outside of Sweden): +46 700 945414
email: [log in to unmask]

P Go Green! Please do not print this e-mail unless necessary.