TECHNET Archives

September 2010

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:59:26 +0100
Depends on the laser type.
For speed/cost I would imagine a CO2 would normally be used.
These pulse, so they work by putting a line of holes in the appropriate
place. The more holes the slower, on a near geometric relationship to
minimise thermal damage to laminate. Time is money. So a cut (where all the
holes are contiguous) is expensive compared to a score, basically just a
dotted line. The laser is basically a dimensionless blade and usually
positioning is more accurate than the PCB itself. This will require a
cutting system with vision or be done per board by operator. Not all shops
have vision systems as some don't really need them for their normal work.

So far as damage is concerned: the energy pulse turns everything to an
instant plasma, there is no time for anything to burn. That's the theory, in
practice you probably will see some slight evidence of scorching. The best
set up is empirically determined on a job basis and will be
operator/supplier dependent.

Using an ablative laser (eg UV) does not have these possible damage issues,
it's much gentler but could be very slow. The usual costs /benefits thing in
other words.

If you envisage having to cut tracks make sure you speak to your intended
suppliers about this before doing/committing to anything.

Regards

Mike