TECHNET Archives

September 2010

From:
Terry Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:34:16 -0400
Ahne,
Ouch! my head is right!.
Once of the assumptions (and maybe not stated, but implied) of
just-in-time, and other "lean" concepts is that the demand is known, and level,  or if
it is not known you have a history of demand which is then averaged into
daily demand. Where applicable, if you cannot "level" the demand, you  employ
"heijunka" which is basically building set units of boards, or other
products through history of demand, knowing that if you keep building the same
amount day after day, by the end of the month, you will average out well.

Shifting the inventory to the vendor, is an older ploy which has  been
around, I became first aware of it in the 80's, but it does not work  to well
for the vendor does it? And as the VOLATILITY of the product  increases,
(which is changes to type, quantity, and delivery times), it becomes  more
difficult to sustain the supply chains efficiency. At least that is my  "theory".

The Max/Min solution is similar to MRP or materials requirement planning
systems, which got a bad rep from the influx of TQM and lean concepts,
because the automation of the systems had a tendency to "push"  inventory as
opposed to a "pull" or lean system. Yet many concepts  of "lean" companies have
the same or similar ways to combat volatility.

This has evolved into other paradigms, of which "Agility" is one. You  can
start off with a generic base or board and run much inventory up to that
point, but then as customization of boards becomes necessary with actual
orders  in PCBA you only build to order. In cases whereby a board has a usage of
say 5 a year, you would not want to designate a "Max/Min" level (Imagine
holding  onto several hundred types of boards with low usage). You would want
to design  this board so that it can easily be modified from an existing
hi-usage  board, and made to order, rather than holding onto it. Then the
technique  of agility in communication comes into play in actual production,
because  someone has to have the demand pop right up in their face and realize
the  implications (Hey! I don't have that in stock! I have to modify
something I  have!).

All the more reason why I say that supply chain efficiency starts with the
design folks involved, because a little time up front will save so many
headaches later.

Terry

In a message dated 9/17/2010 7:03:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,