TECHNET Archives

August 2010

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:43:17 -0500
Being an active Boy Scout leader, I can tell you that high output LEDs
have taken the place of gas lanterns.  They don't crumble when you drop
them either.

Doug Pauls

Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
08/20/2010 03:33 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] NTC Friday Element Quiz:  The Answer - new problem??

Well, I guess we can keep on using the thorium, but I understand the
cerium and yttrium are rare earth minerals and will soon be export
restricted by the Chinese government.  Since 90% of the world supply of
rare earths come from China and "domestic demand is so great there will
not be any for export".

What will we do when we can't get gas mantles - camp in the dark?  And, we
can't stay home and work on disk drive computers that use neodymium
magnets in the motors.  Or use fiber optics that are erbium doped. Darn!!