IPC-600-6012 Archives

August 2010

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
IPC-600-6012<[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 07:17:22 -0500
From:
Thomas E Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
The electroless is expected to meet the rigors of thermal stress just as
the electrolytic plated copper, so, yes, it should be counted. As to the
difference in mechanical properties of electroless from electrolytic
copper, that's one of the reasons we have moved to direct metal. I don't
recall one thermal shock failure at the interconnect (assuming no smear is
present) since we qualified our process.
Tom Kemp
Rockwell Collins Printed Circuits

Jose A Rios <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: IPC-600-6012 <[log in to unmask]>
08/25/2010 06:40 AM
Please respond to
"(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [IPC-600-6012] wrap and electroless

you cant see enough electroless in a microsection to measure it, even at
500 or 1000x unless you're really 'globbing it on'.
if you're counting on eless to meet the wrap requirement, thats a loosing
proposition. at least for 'medium-build' eless chemistry setups.

in the event a 'high-build' eless application is employed, and the deposit

is measurable, i dont see why you cant count it toward meeting the wrap
requirement....

Joey Rios
PWB & Process Quality Eng'r
Endicott Interconnect Technologies
1093 Clark St.
Endicott, NY 13760
Office: 607-755-5896

Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: IPC-600-6012 <[log in to unmask]>
08/24/2010 08:52 PM
Please respond to
"(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[IPC-600-6012] wrap and electroless

another opinion poll, of sorts:
With even the most discriminating customers allowing 0.0002" wrap, and
huge aspect ratios leading to thicker electroless,  the assumption that
wrapped electroless counts as wrap becomes more and more important.  I
assume that everyone is counting it?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mahanna