IPC-600-6012 Archives

August 2010

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
IPC-600-6012<[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:27:44 -0400
From:
"Dieffenbacher, William C (US SSA)" <[log in to unmask]>
I agree.  We are modifying the 6012 requirements by specifying that non-functional lands must have evidence of annular ring.  We don't believe they need to meet the full annular ring requirement for a functional pad.  We do this to both maintain the dielectric spacing, and on plane layers to prevent the possibility of resin cracks which can propagate to the surrounding plane for polyimide resins.  I fear these cracks might also be possible for the new hi-temp lead-free epoxy resin systems which, from all accounts, seem to be more prone to CAF and pad cratering than older epoxy resins, so I don't want to take a risk of resin cracks with them.

Bill