TECHNET Archives

July 2010

From:
Leif Erik Laerum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Leif Erik Laerum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2010 07:38:54 -0500
Doug,

Thank you for your input and the pictures. Just to clarify, conformal
coating was never intended to be applied AS underfill. The NASA paper
suggested EITHER underfill or conformal coating.

In your experiment did you apply conformal coating before reflow? Or was
the coating applied after reflow and injected  under BGAs. Are you
saying if you need to conformal coat a board, you first need underfill
material to prevent the conformal coating to damage the BGA?

Leif Erik Laerum
Quality Assurance Manager
Texas Memory Systems
Tel: (713) 266-3200 x468