TECHNET Archives

July 2010

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 2010 19:50:25 -0400
 Ashok,
The minimum solder joint thickness depends on 5 parameters:
(1) the size of the QFN,
(2) the CTE-mismatch with the PCB,
(3) the delta-T,
(4) the reliability requirement in terms of number of cycles, and
(5) the reliability requirement in terms of acceptable failure probability.
How all of this hangs together, can be found in IPC-D-279; alternatively, you can take my workshop on fundamentals of solder joint reliability.
Werner