TECHNET Archives

July 2010

From:
Brad Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brad Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:29:35 -0400
Dick,
I refer to the region at the intersect of rigid and flex as the dead zone for vias.  Some of the worst effects I've seen are thermal cycled vias straddling this line.  Between terminated glass ends, excessive uncontrolled adhesive, C-Stage, B-Stage, manual lay-up, flexure stress... did I miss anything?  Oh yeah the stress happens in the center vertical of the PTH; well half of it...  Rigid Flex design 101 needs to start off with "DON'T PUT VIAS HERE", I believe it is the single most important issue on rigid flex.
Are PTHs near the rigid edge suspect (not near the flex intersect)?  Hand solder a couple of those, I'd wager they take the heat.   I enjoy a good hand soldering bashing as much as the next SJR person but I suspect you've got a design/layout problem.  If the design "can't" be changed get the fab house to back off the coverlay out of the rigid area a bit.

That interface area is worthy of a very close look.  If you have actual numbers I'd be happy to review.  The 2223 added a paragraph stating to keep vias out of this area put they made it a bit large.
And while soldering in that area don't slam any doors, the sudden vibe could be harmful.

Brad