TECHNET Archives

July 2010

From:
Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:55:13 -0700
Ok, I am scratching my head on this one....but I have been on an extended
vacation and might not be seeing this clearly (but I doubt it), so I thought I
would post it for your comments.

A company here in the Philippines is doing final assy on a circuit board built
in Thailand which consists of adding an anodized aluminum slug beneath a
previously soldered TO-220.  The design calls for the "sandwich" to be mounted
flush to the PWB using a screw and nut.

My assumption is that it is intended to have the generated heat be dissipated
into the PWB as opposed to being mounted on heat sink fins and dissipating into
the air.  Not the best design but not uncommon.  A thin layer of thermally
conductive adhesive or gasket is typically used.

When I watch the actual assembly, I realize that the designer has added one more
twist to the sandwich......a piece of 0.14 mm thick Mica sheet between the
aluminum slug and the PWB.  The only thermal compound is a small dot between the
slug and the Mica (basically adhering the slug and Mica alignment).

One thing to keep in mind that this is a "high volume" product and the cost of
thermal compound far outweighs the cost of the slug, and increasing cost
(complete layer of thermal grease between all layers of the sandwich) is not an
option.

Mica is an electrical requirement but I am questioning the use of the anodized
aluminum slug in this design.  I am suggesting that we run a test with the slug
removed entirely.

As I mentioned, I really haven't had much cerebral challenge over the past year
and a half, so all comments are appreciated.

Phil