IPC-600-6012 Archives

July 2010

IPC-600-6012@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brian D. Madsen" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Combined Forum of D-33a and 7-31a Subcommittees)
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:00:59 -0500
Hello Colleagues,

I recently received a question for which I need an interpretation of IPC
6012.

The background:
A product with a HDI design specified 3/8 oz (12um) outerlayer (external)
copper foil on the drawing.  We think the PCB supplier started with foil
that was within the 6012 specified foil thickness (+/- 10%), but the
supplier next performs a back etch process on the copper prior to laser
drilling.  The etch process reduced the foil thickness to ~4 um.  The PCB
supplier then plated copper up to our specification limits, which resulted
in a total copper thickness that meets the end copper requirement per
6012.  I did not find any reference in 6016 to copper foil/layer
thickness, so I am still referring to 6012 table 3-8 for this topic.

The questions:
1) Does the second column in 6012 table 3-8 ("Absolute Cu Min.") apply
only to the starting foil thickness, or does it apply to the thickness of
the copper foil layer in the end PCB (visible in cross-section)?
2) If this back etch process is standard prior to laser drilling, how can
I verify the original foil thickness is within specification?

Thanks and best regards,

Brian Madsen

Continental Automotive