TECHNET Archives

May 2010

From:
Blair Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Blair Hogg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2010 11:15:54 -0500
Genny, I had the same question. We use PB-Free components all the time in
our PB-Sn process. I have noticed that some components do not appear to
wet as easily as other, which may be attributable to the finish, but never had
hte time to study it. I probably should, considering it may affect reliability, but
there are always other fish to fry.

Any Technetters have any issues documented with PB-Free components in a
Pb-Sn process, other than BGAs?

Blair

On Wed, 5 May 2010 09:07:16 -0600, Genny Gibbard
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Since you are still allowed to use leaded solder obviously, why not continue
to use leaded solder, but allow the use of leadfree components?
>You aren't stressing the board with leadfree soldering temps, but the
leadfree components are much easier to source.
>The only components that are not usually considered backwards compatible
are BGA's.  If you use BGA's, then this gets a lot more complicated.

temps required for Pb-free soldering processes.  I was looking for a baseline,
not a qualification.

>Some management are claiming we are spending too much time & money
ordering & waiting for the Sn/Pb versions of the components - and in some
cases reworking to Sn/Pb solder termination finishes.  I wanted to
demonstrate that we were going to spend time & money on PWB redesign &
confirming our existing parts database would withstand the elevated time &
temperatures.  Either way it is going to cost us so why not stay with the
proven methods & materials.

>The 20x was the number of samples I hoped to start with, 2ea solder float
5x, 2ea solder float 7x, 2ea 9x, 2ea 11x, & 2ea 13x, then repeat for the
elevated temp.