TECHNET Archives

May 2010

From:
Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2010 09:07:16 -0600
Since you are still allowed to use leaded solder obviously, why not continue to use leaded solder, but allow the use of leadfree components?
You aren't stressing the board with leadfree soldering temps, but the leadfree components are much easier to source.
The only components that are not usually considered backwards compatible are BGA's.  If you use BGA's, then this gets a lot more complicated.