TECHNET Archives

May 2010

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 2010 09:24:53 -0400
Brian,
I agree that SF6 is a horrible material: GWP = 23,900, atmospheric lifetime
of > 3200 years, WAY more than 25 generations! I may have my doubts about
man-made global warming in general, but as a fluorine chemist I sure don't
want to see any more of this stuff made.

There is awful lot of it still around.  It can only be effectively destroyed
by bubbling through molten caustic, or introduction to an electric arc or
plasma discharge.  It is extremely stable because it is sterically hindered
(Each sulfur atom is more or less completely surrounded by the six fluorine
atoms. I know you know this, Brian, but I am explaining for others.).  So if
we can destroy some of it in industrial processes that would be good. Of
course the system needs to have scrubbers on it to capture anything not
destroyed.  But since it condenses easily, this is not that hard.

Our power generation companies have literally tonnes of the stuff.  Typical
SF6 insulated transformers lose 0.5% per year.  A quick look at Google says
that British Columbia Hydro lost 3.26 tonnes of the stuff to the atmosphere
in 1999. Ironically it was introduced to replace PCBs as the fluid in high
voltage transformers.
Bev
RIM