TECHNET Archives

May 2010

Date:
Sat, 22 May 2010 10:13:09 +0200
Tharaka,
I would try gas assisted ion beam etching. arcing at 10exp -4 torr will
create a large mean-free ion beam which I think can take up to 6 inches
wafers.You have only three tools to play with: energy, current density and
magnetic field. Typical etch rate is 100 to 3,000 A/minute.The limit was
down to 1 um when I was involved in wafer stuff, but it's so many years ago
that I think the process has been improved. Ion beam It reminds of
sputtering wit RF accelerated argon ions, but you use a magnetic focussing
coil. Very simple way of etching, most unis and many labs have equipments.
Bev mentioned plasma which has the benefit of not using chemically active
ions, but plasma etching is slow.
By the way, if you need etch very large substrates, it's just to use
step-by-step tech.

Inge