TECHNET Archives

May 2010

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2010 08:25:09 -0400
 Wayne,
of course, you still need to divide by h [solder joint height] to get non-dimensional.
The product does not give you any forces, just a displacement. How the combination of thin solder [with low modulus, but with ductility] and thin IMCs [with high modulus and low ductility] actually works is anybody's guess at this point in time. You can analyze it as purely a solder joint in creep-fatigue, as a brittle fully elastic high-strength loading of the IMCs, some combination thereof.  But verification of whichever approach taken is critical.
Werner