TECHNET Archives

May 2010

From:
"Whittaker, Dewey (EHCOE)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Whittaker, Dewey (EHCOE)
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2010 11:15:38 -0700
You knew it was going to happen in dew time.
Dewey

I sense an unhealthy trend of the forum accessing my squirreled away
assets.

Doug Pauls

"Whittaker, Dewey (EHCOE)" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
05/19/2010 12:14 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
"Whittaker, Dewey (EHCOE)" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] My first RoHS circuit board!

Good question: better answer; it depends (one more donation to DPMSF¹).
Back in the days when close still counted, a 72 hour window was a
reasonable target when using an IPC-4101/24 material with a higher rated
Tg. Baking, if you were lucky, was something your wife did.

There is a group of people working on this in the IPC-1601 meetings. Don't
trust HICs and the stated % of moisture. Question the methodology of
measurement, because the quality of your product hangs in the balance (I
couldn't resist or even mask the attempt).

In lieu of the above, one could always request or verify the coupons were
prepared and packaged the same as the PB (cleaned, baked, properly
packaged, stored together). Take some samples of the coupons and acclimate
in your factory environment for 12, 24, 36, 48, 72 hours etc. Precondition
them per IPC-TM-650, Method 2.6.27 (6 X 260ºC) and inspect to the Class 3
acceptability requirements of IPC-6012C. If all of them pass up to 72
hours, it would be reasonable, but not guarantied, to assume the PBs would
also be good. However, if the coupons failed, then the PBs should be baked
prior to production use.

Dewey

Note 1: Doug  Pauls Memorial Slush Fund