TECHNET Archives

May 2010

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2010 21:46:54 -0500
Hi Rudy - I'll second that vote for a highly aggressive flux as we need to
solder to magnetic and nickel based wire materials on occasion. If we
don't use aggressive flux, we don't make good solder joints.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
05/18/2010 08:17 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
R Sedlak <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] Connecting to Nitinol

Steve:
I certainly did mean what I said about the doubtful reliability of any
electrical connection not based on a metallic bond, like soldering.
Turns out that we have a lot of familiarity with Nitinol because we have
developed an electropolish for Nitinol, primarily aimed at the medical
device world (stents).
We have seen that unless the Nitinol is oxide free, it will not polish, no
matter what voltage you apply.
And whereas I would like to sell the preparation system we have developed
for preparation for electropolishing, in this case it is almost certainly
unnecessary, as simple fine steel wool will likely be excellent
preparation for whatever is the next step.
Of everything suggested so far on this matter on Technet, I most like Mike
Fenner's suggestion of using his extreme aggressive flux to solder to say
a Copper wire, carefully cleaning the flux residue off, then soldering the
Copper wire to the PCB.
Rudy Sedlak
RD Chemical Company

--- On Tue, 5/18/10, Steven Creswick