TECHNET Archives

May 2010

From:
"Upton, Shawn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Upton, Shawn
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2010 13:52:39 -0400
We used to have something like that, an LPKF milling machine.  Put in
double side copper clad board (or single sided, I guess), 8.5"x11"
sized, and the machine would mill around the traces.  First it'd do
through holes (IIRC), then mill one side, then the other, then do text
and finally you could mill out the board outline.  Tool changes were
manual, of course.

There was a tool that you could press in barrels for the vias, but
nobody used that: we'd just make sure that any top side traces had the
traces routed so that it was easy to solder on the top side of the
component.

One really had to keep trace width and separation on the generous side.
If everything was set up well, sure, 10mil x 10mil rules would work.
However, as the bit wore--or if you put in a new bit and didn't pay
attention--it was easy to lose any 10mil traces.

It also wasn't exactly quiet.  Well, the machine itself wasn't bad--it
was the vaccum that we'd attach to it, to collect the dust.  That was
loud!  It also tended to have a short life, due to the fine dust.

Shawn Upton, KB1CKT
Test Engineer
Allegro MicroSystems, Inc
603.626.2429/fax: 603.641.5336