TECHNET Archives

May 2010

From:
Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2010 06:31:36 -0400
Chris,

I get the shivers when people say they have a bond lift, because my instinct
tells me the process was not where it should have been, but there is still
room for optimism.

If properly bonded, and subsequently torn or sheared apart, I expect to see
a good deal of viable intermetallic beneath the bond.  If there is little
sign of intermetallic formation, there was little bonding taking place -
read as not a very good bond in the first place.

By analogy, if one is crafting with wood and gluing panels together with a
good glue, then subsequently breaks the panel - the break should occur
somewhere other than at the glue line.  The glue should be stronger than the
wood.  As it is with wire bonding.  The bond should be stronger than the
wire itself.

Regarding the blue dye.  Not sure of the specific mold compound being used
[you could at least ask to see the data sheet ...], but it has been my
experience that the amount of dye used is actually extremely little.  I
doubt that it would have significant effect on CTE, but you could be on to
something.  Normally one tosses in a bunch of fumed silica, etc to help
control CTE.  This doesn't do too well for maintaining light transmission,
however.  I would also check to see if the clear and blue were actually
cured the same way, etc.  That may have more effect on the result than the
pigmentation alone.

If you have intermittent bonds due to delamination, etc.  sometimes you can
simply press on the device and get it to work again.  You might also try a
bit of gentle heat/cold - say refrig to room, etc.  Am not a fan of the
freeze spray stuff.

Wire necking will come about after many temp cycles - aka hundreds depending
on temp limits.  It had better not occur after 1-4 reflow cycles!

I may also have a pic of delam if Vlad can not locate his.

Best wishes,

Steve Creswick
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stevencreswick