TECHNET Archives

May 2010

From:
Ioan Tempea <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ioan Tempea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2010 08:52:50 -0400
Inge,

I am talking to customers daily about these issues and life is not easy.

Disclaimer: I'm not talking about all the designers, since many of the members of this forum are very sensible to quality and reliability.

But a typical OEM seems to only be concerned with function and cost. And most don't even design their own PCBs, but sub-contract this as much as assembly. Moreover, they do not budget in a person with assembly or PCB background, so they have no idea what happens after the schematic is being pushed out!
The only thing that exists after the design is finished is a desire of quality, that they can't even assess, as many have no idea IPC standards exist. Therefore they believe their PCB design subcontractor, PCB house and EMS produce quality by default and the only thing an OEM has to do is to push for price reduction.
In this world, reliability is not even known. The life of a product is assessed in terms of component MTBF, joints and vias cannot fail.

So how to convince your customers to pay for quality and the quasi-unknown reliability, when they don't know this exist? Find the answer to this question and you will win, not the war, but a battle.

Good luck,

Ioan Tempea, ing.
Ingénieur Principal de Fabrication / Senior Manufacturing Engineer
T | 450.967.7100 ext.244
E | [log in to unmask]
W | www.digico.cc

N’imprimer que si nécessaire – Print only if you must