TECHNET Archives

May 2010

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2010 10:49:11 +0300
I remember him most by his website. It was full of useful info, but a
monster! I could not get broadbad at the time and I remember it often
took 10 minutes or more to download on DUN!

He was an adept at concurrent engineering and we were in strong
agreement over the subject, which is still, to this day, largely ignored
in many corporations. I reminded him of the Olympic system used in
shipbuilding and especially submarines. My father-in-law used to work
for shipbuilders on the Tyne and he told me that the plans never showed
the detailed routing of services (water, air, steam, electricity etc.
but only the end points A and B. The fitters used to stand outside the
gates, which were opened when the whistle blew at 7.00 am. They each
sprinted to where they were working to be first, giving them the right
to lay his pipe or whatever in a straight line. It didn't matter whether
it was the electrician who was the fastest runner; he laid his ½"
conduit in a straight line and the ventilation guy had to fit his 12"
pipe round the electrical conduit. It never occurred to the naval
architects or their draughtsmen to specify the order of pipe-laying to
prevent spatial conflict. So it is in our industry, as this net list
largely testifies. The design engineer, the PCB layout guy, the
purchaser, the assembler, the solderer, the materials specifier etc.
often are not inter-consulted to optimise the design for the best layout
to suit all our departments, even if it sometimes means compromise. How
many times have I seen a component costing 1 c less used (and the
purchasing manager was like a Cheshire cat thinking how much he saved
the company), where it cost $1 more in the finished assembly for other
reasons? Legion. Earl was vehemently opposed to such wasteful practices
(as I have been for donkey's years).

I don't know how true it is, but I heard a rumour that his final years
were spent, living like a troglodyte. He was certainly a character.

Brian