DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

May 2010

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"[Jeffrey] [Jenkins]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2010 08:31:39 -0700
With regards to copper type, since most of my boards are double sided with through hole, the ductility of the copper is very important due to the number of heat excursion the board will see (top, bottom, through-hole, possible touch-up).  Both H or S will suffice, but preferred is S. Why? "S" is better suited for high frequency circuits (signal integrity reasons) as it has lower surface roughness because of the way it is deposited and it permits thinner dielectrics.  But then it can cost a bit more for the added benefits, always a trade off.  A good article that was in PCD&F is at
pcdandf.com/cms/images/stories/mag/0505/0505hilburn.pdf

In regards to specifying laminate thickness, I do it because it's rare for me to do a board that isn't RF/Mixed-signal or is multi-layer.  Also I generally specify laminate thickness with a realistic tolerance per layer and finished overall thickness with tolerance.  This ensures that my final product is consistent no matter who the vendor is. When I do that, I can also than calculate what the impedances are for the traces and adjust them as needed (usually a little large) so that the vendor can adjust them to meet my requirements for the design as specified on the drawing (if required).

It all requires more upfront planning and thinking through the whole design process along with also anticipating what the vendor will do.

Hope this helps,

Take Care,

-Jeffrey

Jeffrey A. Jenkins CID+/CIT
Sr. PCB/CAD Designer
L-3 Communications - Linkabit Division - San Diego
Office: 858-552-9832