TECHNET Archives

April 2010

TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:29:23 +0200
1. I represent a medium sized company, and as such, we have of course our
own commerce jurists, which are familiar with laws and regulations and all
such stuff. In our purchase orders we refer to common purchasing rules as
well as to our own ones. To do business without such rules would be suicide.

2. No, we don't pay anything if contracts are not written. Many companies
count on coming affairs, and they do many a times a lot of job with own
spent money to meet our requirements, such as making preliminary drawings,
present ideas for testing, make prototypes, make protocols and a lot more
that is necessary for a coming agreement. They are well aware that there may
be no business at all. Ourselves, we have sometimes spent lots of money that
way, and a competitor got the job. That's the way the whole world works. It
seems as you are asking what to do when you want drop off from a level when
letter of interest is already signed, and the process has advance to
contract. I don't quite  understand what you expect. In the later case you
have broken a contract, and I'm sure  your counterpart got the paragraph
tools to demand a sum of money from you, often with several levels of 'fee'
as you call it. I've been into some such situations, sometimes a nightmare,
when both parties throw paragraphs on each other. If you do not want risk
own money, it's advisable to have your own contract manager, or hire a
consultant for creating the necessary documentation. The time is gone when
you went home after a handshake.

When it  comes to  the details specifically for PWBs, I think there is no
'PWB Purchasing & Contracting Handbook' which you can just copy. If there
is, I would like to see it.

Finally, I've learned that for each paragraph  you bring to your supplier's
desk, he hits the + button for the pricelist that you will get.  A skilled
purchaser can feel when it's  time to stop.

( Reminds me of such a business we had going on with CTS. Our guys had
written a centimeter thick bunch of papers with lots of conditions and
quality requirements and so on. One of CTS' guys called me and said ' Sir,
are you trying to kill  your own company? '  It was Steven Creswick.  Hope
he has forgotten our clumsyness and lack of professionality at that time. My
boss made a very wrong decision  when CTS aquestioned our conditions. He
went to a smaller company, which ones did not critisize at all, but promised
it would be a piece of a cake to make our thickfilm hybrid package. It was
the most advanced one at that time, and the little company in X in the US
got a hell. And so did we. While CTS had made, not quite so advanced, but
not far from. I still have a CTS package, that Steven smuggled into my
pocket for demonstration. If his boss had known....but on the other hand, I
did not demonstrate it at my company. Actually I was regardes as obstinate
and a critic, and was excluded from that project. Erudition: use all your
engineering capability..and then allow the use of common sense's red pen. )

/Inge