TECHNET Archives

April 2010

From:
Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Werner Engelmaier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:18:33 -0400
 Inge,
Even though things are not logical, it is hard to change them unless forced. People get comfortable with the most absurd habits.
We got 60-second minutes, and 60-minute hours, of which there are 24.
Half the world drives on the wrong [sorry—left] side of the road; I am sure you remember that it took an act of your parliament to switch Sweden over [and you guys did it right, over one weekend].
And then, of course, there is the good old USA as the only country [other than South Yemen, as I understand—we sure keep great company] that still measures things according to various body parts of a long since dead king of an empire that no longer exits and which we threw out in a revolution.
And then further, of course, is the English language—don't get me wrong, it sure is the richest language there is, but just look at the illogically and absurdly different pronunciations of similarly written words [fish could be spelled 'ghoti'].
And what other language has a perfectly understandably sentence when spoken, that cannot be written as spoken.
Could go on forever,
Skoal Werner