TECHNET Archives

April 2010

Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 12:14:35 -0700
Allright Master E,
 but let's put it this way: I'm not afraid of voids (except for voids in my
memory) but I'm speaking shinyness. A whole generation of operators have
been brainwashed to demand absolutely mirrorlike and shiny solder joints
without a wrinkle, and despite my higher level of technical knowhow, I have
problems to convince the guys, that wrinkled balls after soldering is
nothing of abnormal.  We do see BGA balls with wrinkles before soldering as
well as after soldering, they are untouched. The printed solder paste wets
good enough up a little bit, but the rest of the balls have not undergone
any shifting, wrinkled before, wrinkled they stay.  That's what I ask you:
do you have the same experience, anyone of you? Have a look at the picture
at Steve's site. These are typical for Xilinx balls, and they have had this
exteriour for more than 10 years.  I asked Xilinx about it, and they said
that such are the balls they buy from one and the same supplier of theirs.
/Inge