TECHNET Archives

April 2010

From:
Richard Kraszewski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Richard Kraszewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:14:49 -0500
We do IPC class 3 plus for aero & medical. You won't really find much if
anything formally written in IPC that I have been able to locate.  IPC
A610E will be about as good as it gets. There is quite a bit of AABUS
also provided in customer specifications. Some of that makes sense and
some that no longer does.  Typically if the rework looks good enough to
meet the requirements as if it was the original coating, you should be
good to go.

Perhaps the most critical part of reworking an area is to insure that
any trace of the stripping compound (if used) is removed, as many of
those are caustic. Little bit of a "catch 22" here, in that most high
reliability applications use chemical resistant 2 part UR coatings.  The
more rugged those coating are the more caustic a solution they require
to remove, hence  more risk to the rework area.  Same as with any other
PCBA process area... be sure  that you really need to perform the
targeted rework.

Perhaps, NASA has something.

Rich Kraszewski/PLEXUS