TECHNET Archives

April 2010

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2010 11:31:33 -0400
Rex,

Being in the communications world (we make fiberoptic communications
equipment for the electric grid) believe me, IT gets it's fingers into
everything.  And they are clueless about the real world.  If you've seen the
Saturday Night Live skits on the computer guys - you got the picture of what
they think of the rest of us.

Just the other day we had a customer call complaining that our Visual Basic
Windows program that monitors our system popped up a message saying it
couldn't communicate with our system.  We couldn't understand how that could
happen until the customer told us that IT automatically downloads Windows
updates to all corporate computers and sometimes that requires an automatic
reboot!  Yes, a critical piece of the electric grid got its XP update
without the affected department being warned this would happen.  And you
wonder why we have huge blackouts?

IT drives me crazy.  When the PC was invented, they lost their political
power (no more central big computer with dumb peripheral terminals).  And
then came networking and the Internet and servers and IT began to take back
the power under the guise of security.  No longer were we customers Masters
of the Universe.

At one company, they even parsed messages for, shall we say, "colorful
language"?

The customer told me one day that IT "Hoovers" :-)  So much for content
filters!

I also have web folder space so if Steve can't continue to hold the pictures
on his server, or (gasp!) takes a well deserved vacation - I know Steve,
"what's that you say?), I'll be happy to do it for the group.

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments, LLC