TECHNET Archives

March 2010

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2010 08:11:24 -0800
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/06/business/global/06toyota.html?pagewanted=2&ref=auto

This is the other side of the Japanese miracle, reflecting the
manufacturer- dominated power structure, the culture of submissiveness,
and the pre-eminence of exports.

Maybe the U.S. diversity and overabundance of litigation isn't so bad.  Maybe "industrial policy" can be carried too far.

Note it was the all- powerful MITI  was the strategic force that
pushed lead-free solder in the late 1990s.  The world blindly followed.

The NYT article states, "Under scrutiny especially after the introduction of automatic transmission cars
in the late 1980s, Toyota recalled five models because a broken solder was found
in its electronics system, which could cause unintended acceleration."
That's solder like in 63% tin, 37% LEAD. The point is if leaded solder
can cause unwanted acceleration, what about the probability for
unreliable lead-free solder with its many mechanisms of failure.
including tin whiskers?

What an irony!

I do think that it is time for the Japanese people to assert themselves
and make their society and government follow that undisciplined U.S. model.