TECHNET Archives

March 2010

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:45:47 +0000
HI all, I'm only getting here once or twice a week at present, but was
tipped off by a colleague about this thread this morning.

I try and summarise where we are:
RNT is now part of Indium Corporation with the technology and key people in
Utica.
The product has already made an impact in some designated areas such as
bonding target base plates. How 'big' an impact you can gauge for yourselves

http://www.rntfoil.com/site/applications/sputter-target-bonding/generation-1
0-sputtering-target

In our part of industry a number of slightly less dramatic applications are
well advanced/in production which benefit from the key fact that you don't
have to heat the assembly to heat the joint. Polymer LEDs is a great
example. If you have watched the video you will already have realised that
die attach heat sink attach and so on are also prime.

So far as SMT is concerned we are working with development partners and I
have to say seeing a pick and place machine [no printer no oven] turning out
an SMT like assembly is both fascinating.... and well... fascinating. This
was at prototype stage a few months ago. Note the words 'SMT like' before
you start planning to free up floor space :)

One of the minor problems with this technology is that it is too
interesting. I am not sales/marketing so do not determine policy direction.
But I would say whereas we are always happy to hear from people, we are
especially happy to hear from people who want to work on a case or project
basis AND where the technology brings a benefit. It is only affordable if
that's the case. Being "cool" won't get past anyone's bean counters!

We are continuingly developing process knowledge and data and have good
(strong) reliability numbers for certain applications. We also are building
knowledge of what will and won't work (including some counter intuitive in
both directions).

Regards

Mike

Mike Fenner, Technical Manager