TECHNET Archives

March 2010

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:44:36 -0500
Hi,

 Correct me if I am wrong but the craters and edge effects are expected as
most materials fails in shear when a sample is pulled apart. I also recall
seeing small inverted craters at the edges of samples due to the nature of
stresses at the outside edge of the sample. I would expect the failure mode
to be very different along the outside edges of the sample being pulled.

 At one time I did a control system for a material testing lab and we pulled
apart a lot of 1/4 inch round aluminum samples. The breaks were classic
examples of Morh's Circle showing maximum stress at a diagonal.

Bob Kondner