TECHNET Archives

March 2010

Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:46:31 -0800
Werner,
if you can mae me understand this a bit better, I'll put a Havanna in your
mouth, and a Margeritha in your hand.  The wormlike pattern is a extremly
high concentration of phosphorous. It seems to me as that is what weakens
the IMC structure. I have some other pictures that demonstrat that, I'll
send offline to you. I begin to see how it works, The intermetallic crystals
(grain seems to be a improper description) are very strong in themselves,
but the P-rich stuff in between them makes the total vulnerable to stress.
It's like using a bad cement when building a brick house.  So, before the
separation of the layer SnxNix from layer SnyNiy. the cement gives way and
the crystals start separate from each other. Is my anticipation right?

Inge