TECHNET Archives

March 2010

From:
Gene Felder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2010 07:38:53 -0700
Regular high charging packaging is not to be in an ESD Protected Area.  So
even if you have a bag of bolts [non-ESD sensitive items] in an EPA, the
bolts are should be in a pink poly bag or similar packaging.  The shielding
property is required for storing or transporting ESD sensitive items outside
the ESD Protected Area.

ANSI/ESD S20.20-2007 says to go to ANSI/ESD S541 for Packaging.  Both are
available at no charge to download from www.ESDA.org.

"ESD protective packaging shall be in accordance with the contract, purchase
order, drawing or other documentation. When not specified by the above
documentation, the organization shall define ESD protective packaging
requirements, both inside and outside the EPA per ANSI/ESD S541."  [ANSI/ESD
S20.20-2007 section 8.4]

ANSI/ESD S541 section 6.1 Inside an EPA "Packaging used within an EPA (that
satisfies the minimum requirements of ANSI/ESD S20.20) shall be:
1. Low charge generation.
2. Dissipative or conductive materials for intimate contact."

ANSI/ESD S541 section 6.2 Outside an EPA "Transportation of sensitive
products outside of an EPA shall require packaging that provides:
1. Low charge generation.
2. Dissipative or conductive materials for intimate contact.
3. A structure that provides electrostatic discharge shielding."

Gene Felder