TECHNET Archives

March 2010

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:39:23 -0400
Dear Wee Mei,

We are a manufacturer, not an assembler, and we only contract with
assemblers who have x-ray machines
as we know that they reduce the scrap
rate of our boards which are very expensive and use a lot of BGAs and
QFN packages.

I don't know the cost difference between 2D and 3D but if your company
can afford 3D then because
the trend is to smaller more dense
component footprints, 3D will become
more useful as time goes by.

We buy expensive capital equipment instruments not just for their use
today but for their capability in the future.

As for dosimeters, many years ago I worked in nuclear physics with
radiation sources (x-ray, particle accelerator, radioisotope, nuclear
reactor).  I did dosimetry which included film, electroscope, geiger,
scintillator, and thermiluminescent type devices.  It's been many
years since I have done that work but if you contact me off the forum
and send me information on what choices you have for dosimetry, I'll
be happy to review the information and give you what advice I can and
suggestions for questions to ask the vendors.

One suggestion that I would make to familiarize yourself with x-ray eq
would be to go to your local hospital x-ray department and speak to
the x-ray technicans there.   Ask them what kind of dosimetry they use
(most likely it will be film), who does the service work, do they do
radiation surveys, how often they are required to do them.  There must
be national radiation safety regulations in Singapore.  The
regulations should specify what must be done.

The equipment is similar to a microwave oven, it has safety interlocks
so when the door is opened to place boards inside, the radiation must
shut off.  These interlocks must be checked at least once a year.

Used properly, and maintained, the equipment is very safe and very
helpful.

Hope you will get recommendations offline from people here who use
them as to what they like (and don't like and wish they had) in the x-
ray units they have.

   It's a big investment; buy for the future.  The future comes
quicker than you think!

Best regards,

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments,LLC