TECHNET Archives

March 2010

Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:11:06 -0700
Bev,

The purpose of lead finish, either it is tinned or gold plated or silver
plated, is not only to make the leads solderable, but also to protect the
bulk material from corrosion.  A Kovar leg that is not 100% covered will be
attacked and can corrode to the degree that the whole component falls off.
If the leads are bent after tinning, there is still more risk of problems.
So, of course negative wetting is something that the quality responsible
must consider as a high priority case.  If you are interested, and if I can
find, I can send some schrecklich photos to you.

Inge