TECHNET Archives

March 2010

Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:54:26 -0700
Phil,

I think you are right. If  you are too generous with the aerosol,  you get
so much solvent, that the acrylic gets too low surface tension, the board
repels the intruder and makes the acrylic to  'close around itself' instead
of wetting correctly on the board. If the board happens to have some
nanometers of a fat stuff, the situation will lead to de-wetting.   Let me
give you some examples (Pa exp -1) :
-glass 3800
-aluminum 1000
-solder 800
-fat 300
 -water 75
-polyester based glue 60
-epoxy adhesive 40
-cyano acrylat glue 30
-alcohol 20
-ethylen ether 10
-teflon 5

the more solvent,  the lower the surface tension, i-e. the board ('glassy')
repels the coating.  Allegory:  water on a goose, where  the goose
represents the fat. Easy peasy.

In technical terms, the adhesion forces must exceed the cohesion forces  to
wet, which old man Dupré found two hundred years ago or so.

(Hope I do right, many decades since school....Brian use to correct me
otherwise.)

Inge