TECHNET Archives

March 2010

From:
Paul Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Paul Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:27:33 -0700
Russell,

Be happy that the unit is shifting off the pad....

The unit is trying to move to the lowest energy location for the solder joints... In doing so it is forming fillets on the pins that will lead to the strongest solder joints...
Butt solder joints are the weakest kind of joints there are...

The filleting by moving off the pad slightly will make these joint stronger than you butt joints...

To eliminate the problem in the future make the SMT pads on the PCB 0.020" to 0.040" bigger in diameter than the post and the unit will stop moving and give you allot stronger solder joints...

Paul

Paul Edwards
Surface Art Engineering