TECHNET Archives

March 2010

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:42:49 -0700
Actually we have them soldered by a contract manufacturer as we use them on
our development boards. The way they connect them is to use a larger
soldering iron and pre-heat the board.

They do get excellent results. I just had a customer unit back for FA where
the customer damaged the board, on one of the ground pads the connector had
broken in half in the horizontal pad plane. On the other side of the ground
connection it had ripped the pad from the board so I guess no issues with
their soldering method.......8-)

I just called the contract house on this and he reports that on my board the
ground is connected through a via to an inner layer so not too bad
thermally, he did comment that if it was connected to a top side ground
flood plane it might be a little more "interesting"

They use a higher activity flux and water wash.

Best regards,

John Burke
(408) 515 4992