LEADFREE Archives

March 2010

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Pete Houwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2010 08:41:41 -0600
It's an interesting first step towards other research.  They were also touting
the "shaping" ability of the ferrous metal in the solder.  Of course, they were
also touting the "more environmentally friendly" silver and tin..... It could be
the start of a new line of thinking that might lead to something useful.

Not that this anecdote means much, but I spent a (probably inordinate)
amount of time in the Smithsonian gem & geology exhibit this weekend.  The
only thing that anooyed me was noticing in the compositions of (the easily
and rather safely mined) crystals, quite a lot of Pb.  Not much in the way of
Ag or Sn, however..... I suppose I was the only one in the room that gave it
a  thought.  Some of those crystals are quite amazing.