TECHNET Archives

February 2010

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 10:42:27 -0600
Hi, Bob
It depends on what you are trying to solder, rework, mark, or weld. Most laser soldering systems on the market today are typically set up to repeatedly solder the same product in high volumes, that is their niche or specialty. Many of those use the bulb system you describe, or a single laser that is restricted to a particular task.
There are no laser soldering machines that I know of that can be set up to cover a wide variety of materials and tasks as a single machine. The combination of our machine and our patented chemical bath or chemical spray systems, special pre-heaters, solder paste treatments, etc, allow us to solder just about anything with different lasers, I/R sources, or cure with U/V, etc. Analog Technologies has spent the last 5 years doing nothing but laser-soldering and related process development 8-12 hours a day to get to this capability. They are very, very good at it, but the biggest reason we have been able to be so successful is due to our machine's capabilities (as well as having an excellent engineering staff). We started out looking for a machine on the market that could do what we needed to accomplish for a single contract, and performed a very thorough evaluation of many machines on the market but could not find the exact machine we needed. They all had some type of serious drawback. So we designed and built our own machine, and have been developing processes around it ever since. The capability of being able to quickly switch out or simultaneously control up to 4 different energy sources such as different lasers, UV sources, I/R sources, etc., helped us to be able to perform many, many widely different processes in a very cost-effective manner. Our machine can load 4 different lasers and operate them simultaneously, if we ever needed to do that. Each fiber/optic channel is controlled by its own individual iris so we can run programs that automatically control the individual source power, focal spot size and focus, pulse time, dwell time, beam travel and speed, etc. That is how we can perform tasks such as reballing, ball attachment, pinpoint soldering, microweld, and so on with a single program and set-up.