TECHNET Archives

February 2010

From:
Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Chris Mahanna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:37:28 -0500
Hey Pearl,

Peel strength probably isn't going to help too much in this case.  What you need to know is the ultimate tensile strength of the resin just below the land, at a temperature between Tg and solder alloy solidus.
The proposed metric for the resin itself is "fracture toughness".  There is a draft method within IPC now.  There is a proposal to add it to future revs of 4101.  I think Microtek Labs has it implemented.  One complication I suspect is that if the fractures consistently occur at the glass just below the land, then modeling the resin by itself may not be that helpful.
Have you investigated any possible changes in material, or maybe a switch to/from a foil lam build?

Chris